Saturday, January 17, 2009

Road Trip and Wedding

This last weekend, the 9th and 10th, I was a groomsman in a friend's wedding (I knew both the bride and groom from college) in Kansas City, KS. This is my 5th time being a groomsman (one was as best man actually), so I hope the saying "always a bridesmaid never a bride" doesn't apply to men as well - though that's how it's seemed so far. Anyway, Amanda and I took the 8 hour road trip together (she was officially invited for those who may be wondering), leaving very early on Friday morning. It went pretty well and relatively quick surprisingly. I drove most of the way there and she drove most of the way on the return. We enjoyed more fellowship and bonding and shared another memory making experience.

Friday night, after the rehearsal, I was asked if I would be willing to pick up someone who had come in at the bus station. I agreed and late that night another guy and myself went to go pick her up. However, we had no idea where the bus station was (nor did anyone else apparently) and the wifi at the hotel we were staying at wasn't working. So we asked one of the workers and they were eventually able to mark it on the map I had printed out for the trip. That was the easy part, getting there is another story. The highways in Kansas City had to be designed by someone on crack! We were heading back east towards the station, stayed in the center and didn't take any exits when all of a sudden we looped around and were going west again. We finally got back on track and to the area of town where the station was, but had some trouble getting there due to many one-way streets. Once we did pick her up we couldn't get back on the interstate. We got on a major road which was parallel, thinking it would have an entrance ramp to it - but no, it took us down south instead. Eventually we got back to the area of town where the church was and had to find the house where the girls were staying, which we weren't given good/complete directions to. All in all it took two hours to get the job done, when distance-wise it should only have taken about 20-30 minutes!

The wedding itself went very well and was pretty nice, decorated in a light blue with snow flakes theme. And Amanda enjoyed seeing me all "spified up" in the tux. It was also good to reconnect with some friends and acquaintances I hadn't seen in quite a while. We stayed at the reception long enough to see the couple off, but had to leave pretty quickly thereafter. As it was, we made it back to Danville at around 2am!

No comments:

Post a Comment